Monday, June 20, 2011

Our First SURPRISE Baby Shower!

I would like to warn the weary readers- this post is FULL of pictures. I couldn't stop myself. I had the BEST baby shower EVER given to me by my whole extended family. Nick and I were blown away by the planning, effort, and thoughtfulness that went into this. First, lets rewind a bit here.

As many already know, we were at the beach for vacation with my Mom's entire side of the family. Significant others, children, etc. NO ONE was missing! It hasn't happened in probably 10 years! And I am already in a mild state of depression without them still with me. We enjoyed long days at the beach, good food, games, ice cream, desserts, you name it! I was looking pretty pregnant in my bathing suit. I didn't allow many side shots while in the bikini this trip!

Anyways, on Saturday, my Aunt invited us over to her house they were renting for breakfast. It seemed totally normal since it was going to be our last morning together and we hadn't been to their house yet. Unbeknownst to me ... a surprise shower was in order! When we walked in, the whole family yelled SURPRISE and the house was decorated FULL FLEDGED for the shower.

A Diaper Cake was Front and Center on the Food Table.


The Wonderful Shower Planners and Food Spread



I'm sorry, but I had to get a picture of the plates and napkins!


Last, but not least, Nick and I were given sashes that said MOM TO BE and DAD TO BE. and there were cute little monkeys hanging around the house!


After eating some breakfast and having some Mimosas (mine was virgin of course!) we got to move onto my PERSONAL FAVORITE: Shower Games!

The first game they had planned was the coolest idea EVER. They took EVERYONE'S baby pictures and made a handout. You had to guess who was who as a baby. I did AWFUL. Couldn't even find myself in the mix. Nick, however, WON THE PRIZE for guessing the most right! 

Next, we played the baby food testing game. I came in second place on that one. I love baby food!! I got all the "doubles" right which I was very proud of! (Strawberry Banana and Apples and Apricots). YES MA'AM!

Next came the gift opening. We were blessed beyond belief with great gifts for this baby boy! I cannot even express how much joy came from opening gifts for my own child to be! Here are some highlights:

Baby play mat: Ocean Themed. There is even a little stuffed whale to help the baby practice Tummy Time! Love it! This gift brought to us by Mom and Dad (Grammy and Grandpa)

This awesome gift pictured below is a baby bottle drainer/spinner. My cousins Megan and Josh got this one for us and I am STOKED to use it. I can hardly wait 5 months to get some bottles going on it! It drains RIGHT into your sink!!


This is a homemade fleecy blanket for baby boy. My sister-in-law is a woman of MANY gifts. She has made me sugar scrub from scratch. She has made me a beautiful butterfly art picture frame from scratch. And now this sweet baby blanket. I can't wait to see this boy all snuggled up in this soft sea of blues and greens!


This may turn into the best thing since sliced bread. It is a portable sleeper/rocker/seat for baby. It can fold up and be carried EASILY when mommy needs to move it. Once it snaps open, it can rock, you can buckle baby in, its on an incline so baby can see whats going on. Oh its just delightful. I already set it up. Actually, it was set up within the first 10 minutes of unpacking from vacation. No lie. You can ask my husband!


This is the bathtub for baby boy! It's in the shape of a whale. Alex and Leslie bought us this along with a cute little Rubber Ducky that tells you if the water is too hot for the baby!


Not pictured are adorable sets of clothes, story books, gift cards to Target (WOOT!), and pacifiers! Not to mention the stash of newborn diapers when you disassemble the cake!

I truly could not have asked for a better first baby shower. I was so worried my family wouldn't be able to make it down for one this summer (if I even had one!) It was just the best feeling to know that this baby is already so loved by this many people. They selfishly gave of their time, money, and BEACH TIME to throw this wonderful baby shower! 

On another note, I realized this week how much we love Daddy. I went to the beach solo because Nick has minimal vacation time due to his recent job change. At first I thought to myself it would be a breeze because I would be surrounded by family. And it was fun to be with family, don't get me wrong, but there was just something missing until he flew in on Friday. We missed him more than expected! Once we got home last night, while laying in bed, this little baby did some significant moves inside of me and it was a wonderful feeling. I look forward to the next ones and I REALLY look forward to when Nick can feel what I am feeling from the outside. We have another ultrasound on July 11th and I am hoping Nick can come. There is just NOTHING like watching that baby move in front of your eyes!

That's all for now. Just truly enjoying the memories and warmth of family and the unconditional love that comes from them. Can't wait for this boy to feel the same love I've felt my whole life!

Last- my Mom sent me a verse that she thought would be a good one to add to the mix of baby verses. It comes from Psalm 78. I have included verses 1-8 below, but it instructs us on how to raise and foster the generations to come after us and what our responsibility is to them:

1 My people, hear my teaching;
   listen to the words of my mouth.
2 I will open my mouth with a parable;
   I will utter hidden things, things from of old—
3 things we have heard and known,
   things our ancestors have told us.
4 We will not hide them from their descendants;
   we will tell the next generation
the praiseworthy deeds of the LORD,
   his power, and the wonders he has done.

5 He decreed statutes for Jacob
   and established the law in Israel,
which he commanded our ancestors
   to teach their children,
6 so the next generation would know them,
   even the children yet to be born,
   and they in turn would tell their children.
7 Then they would put their trust in God
   and would not forget his deeds
   but would keep his commands.

8 They would not be like their ancestors—
   a stubborn and rebellious generation,
whose hearts were not loyal to God,
   whose spirits were not faithful to him.

3 comments:

  1. Enjoyed this update very much..........

    Jim, Dad or uh, Grampie or uh soon to be man of many names!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. First of all, how SWEET your family is to throw you a surprise shower. At the beach no less! :)

    Second- I recognize those cute little polka dot diapers! Target brand!!! Yeahhh!!! That's what we use on Sammy during the daytime and it saves SO MUCH $$$$$$$$. :)

    Third- That sleeper/rocker is the BEST THING EVER. Sam slept in it (and alternated with the darn swing) for the first 4 months of his life. For some reason he didn't like to lie flat, so he enjoyed it. I kept it next to the bed during the night and took it on every trip we went on and he enjoyed sitting in it during his "awake time" too. Great gift. We didn't register for it, but I'm so so so glad someone got it for us. :)

    I've got a package headed your way soon (good Lord willing and the creek don't rise). :)

    Great post!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This can be a superb and frolic surprise for any mommy to be! You are lucky indeed. Girls having fun and relaxing time remembers me of our kitty party last month. Was the best till now. One of the lovely San Francisco venues was hired online and food supplies were all branded. Also the baked and hand tossed snacks were out of the world.

    ReplyDelete