Monday, May 9, 2011

My First Mother's Day

Well, this is my first official post on the public blog, so hello! Most of you are probably used to reading about the food I have been cooking. You won't be seeing quite as many posts on that blog as my appetite has changed dramatically and due to heavy fatigue, the last thing I want to do is photograph my cooking (Or lack thereof!)

Anyways, let me back-fill a little bit. I really hadn't thought twice about this being my first mother's day until about Friday when someone in my office (Barb) gave me my first mother's day card! It dawned on me at that point, that yes, this would count as Mother's Day for me. I am a Mom! I am already changing how I eat and the daily decisions I make for this 11 week, 3 day old baby. Thats a good start to motherhood, right? I think I got so caught up in planning how to celebrate my Mom's birthday which was Friday, and mother's day for both her and my mother-in-law, that I didn't even think about the fact that I could enjoy the day as well!

Saturday was a great day. It was a mother-daughter date-day and I think I may need one of those a month from here on out! It was the best day I've had in a very long time. We started off by going to lunch with a couple friends at this wonderful hole-in-the-wall place called Souper Jenny's (check them out by clicking here). The menu changes daily, but WOW did we fall on a great day. EVERYONE loved the food. We even paid to take some pints of soup home! Mom and I had this AWESOME pita sandwich stuffed with homemade hummus, Tzatziki Suace, fresh tomatoes, and fresh spinach. Oh my gosh. Word don't describe it. I got some amazing Chicken Tortilla Soup which we will be enjoying again tonight since I got take out. Okay, enough about food. Moving on...

After lunch, we made a quick stop home to drop off our refrigerated goods and then headed to the avenue. Our initial reason for going was to look for a larger sized bra (just being honest) as things are changing on this body! To say we got side-tracked is an understatement. We started at American Eagle where I bought a couple of shirts and tank tops a size up to accomodate the bump. After that we wandered into the Loft. Mom was able to find some new tops that look wonderful on her. I lucked into finding a dress that is very forgiving that I can wear for 2 weddings that we are attending this summer! It was only $34 but it's awesome! Purple, not ususally my first choice, but I love it! Well, then we made our way to Pea in the Pod. BEST. STOP. EVER. I realize most people are disgusted by maternity jeans and skirts etc. but I am a HUGE fan. I got some awesome jeans and an awesome skirt that are SO comfortable. I also got 4 maternity tops in different colors that just fit SO nice. I cannot thank my Mom enough for that purchase. I have a whole new outlook on this pregnancy. I have a SHOT at being attractive throughout the remaining 6 months :) Well, when we walked out of there, we were already pushing it to make our movie date on time. So we headed straight to the theater to see "Something Borrowed." I'll spare you the movie review, simply because, I have already strayed too far from the topic of Mother's Day! After the movie, we went to dinner at Ted's Montana Grill STRICTLY so that we could order Strawberry Shortcake for dessert. And we did. And we ate it. ALL of it. And it was divine. Well, we had just enough time to sneak back to the Avenue and hit up Victoria Secret for the previously mentioned item. Success. And so ended Saturday. A wonderful Saturday.

Sunday morning came along and when I walked downstairs to give my Mom her mother's day card (we spent the night there as the guys were out late at a concert), there was an array of presents waiting for this Mother-to-Be. It was the sweetest sight I've seen!

Mom had given us a couple story books for the baby as well as a sling that we had looked at online and that I secretly wanted :) My Mom is so good at that. Well, by the time Nick got ready for Church, we had to take off before I was able to open his gifts. That's okay though, I love extending present opening throughout the day! Church was great. We ended up going to brunch afterwards at Bistro VG and met up with Bryan, Erin, KC, and of course Jackson! Erin, the sweetest sister-in-law, had hand made 2 jars of sugar scrub for me for mother's day. Grapefruit and Mandarin Orange. YUM! The food was great. I filled up on 2 baskets of french pastries. Muffins, chocolate chip breads, fruit breads. It was poor self control but I didn't care. After brunch, we went back home and I got to open up the remainder of my gifts. Nick got a green and brown SOFT SOFT baby blanket! It's precious! He also got me a maternity tank top and an adorable gray maternity t-shirt/top. I LOVE IT! I will get his moneys worth out of that purchase! He also got me some maternity shorts. I'd say I'm set through summer, wouldn't you all agree!?

Well, the day continued, we went and took care of an issue with ordering a new stove for our kitchen. Sounds like the last thing some would want to do on mother's day, but you don't understand how badly we need a new stove! So, I enjoyed even this errand! Afterwards, we ran over to Pike's to get a new hanging basket and shepherd's hook. Long story there, but we made out with some very pretty hybrid impatients. Dinner was nothing special (cereal and ramen noodles) but I really wasn't that hungry after brunch. We ended up going to TCBY later in the evening just to fatten me up ONE more time this weekend. I didn't complain. Overall it was a fabulous weekend. The weather was ideal. The bump is showing. I am regaining my energy and just loving life pregnant right now. Next Monday is the official 12 week appointment and that will mark the end of the first 3 months. CRAZY. But very exciting!

I cannot say it enough, but I love this baby so much already! I cannot wait to start feeling it kick and move around. I cannot wait until its developed enough to hear Nick and myself talk to it, sing to it etc. Oh the joys that are ahead. I just pray that I treasure each week and don't wish for the "end" so soon! I've said it on facebook, but THANK YOU to everyone who made Sunday so special for me. Those that sent text messages or facebook message. Those that sent cards or called or gave gifts. You are so precious to me and I am so grateful for the love you already show me and our baby!

I don't want to promise anything, but we should be able to have some pictures up next week after the appointment :) Until then.... here's to just shy of 12 weeks pregnant! Go ahead and raise your glass, I'll keep drinking water!

2 comments:

  1. I LOVE that you finally put this out there for others to enjoy! You are a gifted writer, and your heart is so sweet. I am still thinking about Saturday and how much I enjoyed the day with you...a blessing in itself!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Mama! ;)
    I have so enjoyed catching up on your blog this morning. You just remind me what a blessing my Sammy is (even when we are tired and cranky and sick of poopy diapers... seriously though, how many times a day can one child poop????).

    I'm so glad you're enjoying your pregnancy and you have SUCH a great outlook on it. Your child is going to love reading over this when he/she is older. Fenwick (LOL) is truly loved and will definitely know it! :)

    I looked at your Target registry and might just send you a few things that aren't on it (and only because a few of those items saved our LIVES) and it never hurts to have backup, right? I miss you and so wish that we lived closer. I really can't wait to see Fenwick when he/she is born. I'm coming to see him/her come hell or high water! :)

    ReplyDelete