Monday, October 31, 2011

Bekham's Baby Shower!

So much has happened this week, I feel like I'll never be able to post everything! The highlight, of course, being the long awaited baby shower thrown by 2 dear family friends. It was everything you would have dreamed your baby shower would be. The decorations were so intricate and coordinated with Bekham's nursery (monkeys with green and brown as the main colors). EVERY detail of the shower was so thoughtful and planned just for this baby. The people who were there, of course, made it even more special. Its always amazing to see such tangible blessings in your life in the form of friends. The best thing about this shower was that I had new friends, old friends, family friends, the whole range! And everyone just as happy to be there as the next. It was an incredible and special afternoon for me!

So, warning ahead of time, this post is photo heavy, but I never want to forget this day! Don't skip the rest of this blog, there is so much more to share! So, first, the eye catcher, the diaper cake:

Seriously... how adorable is this!? And here are some photos of the rest of the decorations while we are on topic!
The hydrangeas were gorgeous, and as you can see, there was monkey fabric in the center of this table!

Silverware wrapped and held together by green and brown monkey ribbons :)
Party favors filled with teddy grahams! These were ADORABLE! I'm stealing this idea for when I throw a baby shower for someone (to be determined)!
 I'm sorry, but aren't this gorgeous!?
These were dessert! Cupcakes made to look like baby rattles. I just thought these were adorable!

For lunch, we had delicious pumpkin soup with chicken salad sandwiches on croissants and fruit skewers. It was delightful. Anyone who knows me, knows I love pumpkin anything, and chicken salad anytime, so this lunch was very tailored to my taste buds! Again, just goes to show the thoughtfulness of the hosts! After eating lunch, it was game time. We played 2 games (both extremely challenging). One was a celebrity baby game where you had to guess which baby pictures went with which celebrity. I was AWFUL at this game. However, Nick and I both made the celebrity list! And I got those 2 right! The second game was right up my alley. For each letter of the alphabet you had to come up with something baby related and hope that no one else had your answer of it wouldn't count! It was harder than it sounds. I got 15 out of 26 unique answers, but still wasn't a winner! But that's okay! My sister-in-law won and got to open my first present which was a travel bag with travel sized items for my hospital stay. Oh, and my initials were monogrammed on the front. How thoughtful was that!? It's already packed in the labor duffel bag!

Well, of course, presents were next on the agenda. I'll try to spare you all 40 pictures of me opening presents, but I have to post some! There were so many meaningful gifts that showed up on Saturday!

Had to post this outfit from MiMi as it goes with the theme :) Monkey jammies for the boy!


So thrilled about this gift. Shirely would call it a "Bopper" but its a boppy billow for nursing and for baby to lay on!
This is the monkey mobile that goes with Bekham's nursery bedding.. and here is the hamper that completes the full set!
I still need to get a picture of the nursery fully completed, however, it is a mess up there at the moment from the mass intake of gifts (not complaining!) But you don't get that photo quite yet!
My friend Anita made nursery color themed towels for Bek :) Not sure how she had time to make these with 3 kids of her own, but she is an incredible woman!


Many of the women contributed to this group gift which was our pack and play. This is something I have wanted since the day I found out I was pregnant. It has a snap in changing table and bassinet so I can set this up in our room for the first few months and keep him near us while he sleeps (and while I don't!)

This one definitely ranks at the top of favorite gifts. My Mom made this quilt for Bekham. She always makes baby quilts for her friends and I always wondered what the one she made for my baby would look and feel like. Well- I finally know. Its minky and incredible soft. Its the colors of BOY and it is something I'll cherish the rest of my life. I already told her, but I think she truly outdid herself on this one! I feel bad for Sharp baby #2! I can't imagine something more beautiful than this.


Amy's mother, Esther, handmade this baby blanket for Bekham as well. Is there any way this baby knows how many people love him? So many friends have put time and love into these gifts for him! I will never let him forget that when he is old enough to understand!

WAR EAGLE! An embroidered Auburn bib for this little tiger! I LOVE IT!

The travel system!!! We can bring the boy home now! And take him shopping or walking or whatever we want with this brand new stroller :)

There were so many more great gifts we received. Bath time accessories, oodles of outfits, bottles, a diaper bag, a second base for the car seat to put in Nick's car, the list goes on FOREVER. I was amazed by the outpouring of gifts that we received! Time to share faces of friends that came:


My in-laws. So happy that momma in the middle could make it! She's due any day now!


These are the incredible girls in my small group I bragged about last week! They are amazing and it was so great to have them there on Saturday! Gosh I love them!

We are 2 days apart on due dates. We both have our fingers crossed that these boys make their grand entries into the world on 11/11/11. At the very least, we hope to be in the hospital at the same time whatever day it may be!
These are the 2 women that made it all happen. Lisa Wright and Amy Benson. So thankful and blessed by them!

This girl is a favorite. I couldn't have prayed for or asked for a better lifelong best friend. Can't wait for Bekham to meet Kelsie. I know she'll love him like he's family.

Another favorite person! My mom has done so much for me and this baby already and he's not even here yet. Most of you know this already from reading my blog, but, no one can know the full measure of what she does. I've received a card from her in the mail for every single doctors appointment since day 1 of finding out I was pregnant. What a way to mark this pregnancy with memories. She's bought every little desire I have for this baby from books, to outfits, to nursery accessories. Bekham, you're going to love your Grammy. I've never known someone with such selfless love for others- and you're going to be a recipient of it- just know you are blessed!

Okay, I need to start wrapping this up. I'm on a marathon blog post here! Before I move onto my last topic, here is the 36 week belly shot!

So, the other big event of this week has to do with doctors and switching practices. I ended up taking my birth plan into my doctor's office this past week. And let me start by saying that my birth plan is very tame. Nothing crazy on there. I personally think the craziest thing on there is the fact that I want to wear my own clothes, not the hospital gown, and she didn't seem to have a problem with that. However, she did have a problem with some other specifics I outlined in my plan. One of those being the fact that I wanted to refuse Cytotec no matter what the circumstances. Doctor wasn't a fan of this and asked me to remove it from my plan. That was the point when I turned the switch off. I quit engaging in the conversation and decided I was about to start scrambling for a more natural friendly provider. Luckily for me, I have 2 friends that know a lot about natural birth and knew where to refer me. Gifts From Grace will be my new provider and the practice that will deliver and welcome Bekham into this world. I am so thankful for this practice. 

We've finally decided what shots we will and will not give our boy. We've come to a peace about circumcision. We tried to find a doctor that would perform the operation on the 8th day, but this is just not common practice anymore unless you are truly Jewish and can find a Mohel that will offer the service. So, the only shot Bekham will have to receive at the hospital is the Vitamin K shot so ensure that his blood clots successfully after his little surgery. This breaks my heart, but there's just no other answers to be found out there to avoid this shot. We will follow up with Hepatitis A at the pediatrician's office but there is just no need to give him this shot in the first 24 hours of his life. The less the better. I don't want him stressed out and more scared than he already will be when he is outside of his little safety pocket, also known as my uterus. We are going to do everything in our power to give Bekham the most normal welcome into this world as possible. 

Well today I had my first appointment with the new doctor (Gifts of Grace OBGYN). This was like paradise compared to what I had been experiencing. Diane, who is technically a midwife, came right in and felt around to let me know that Bekham is indeed head down. (No one had done this at my previous practice). Then, just to confirm, she even let me get an ultrasound of the boy. She had asked when my last one was and I told her it was at our 20 week appointment. She hooked me right up and there he was. Head straight down. The US tech estimated that Bekham is approximately 6 pounds 7 ounces (only a prediction, of course!) Diane talked to me like I was her own daughter, and even talked to Bekham like she already knew him. This place has the spirit of Lord in it. I truly believe that. Not just because of the Bible verses that are hung around the office, but because of the joy within the people that work there. This place is a blessing and I am so thankful to have been referred here by friends. We listened to Bekham's heart for awhile and she pointed out the noise that was his valve opening and closing. AMAZING. She is incredible. I can't wait to go back next week! This is truly an answered prayer. I don't think I'll ever give birth anywhere else after this experience. Okay. This is entirely too long, but thanks for reading!!

1 comment:

  1. I had to switch docs last minute too before delivering Sam, because, as she told me, "My only job is to get this kid out with ten fingers and ten toes. I will do that however I feel necessary." Um, NO THANK YOU! :)
    Glad you found a provider that you feel comfortable with and trust!!! It will surely help out come D-day!! :)

    ReplyDelete